The SAVONLINNA OPERA FESTIVAL is launching a national opera libretto competition on April 11, 2016.
The competition is open to anyone resident in Finland. The competition entry must not have been performed before and may not be announced or presented/performed in public in any way before May 5, 2017.
• Entries, which must be for a full-length opera in either Finnish or Swedish and accompanied by a synopsis, must be emailed with a pseudonym to email@example.com. The deadline for entries is February 15, 2017. Attached to the email must be the competitor’s name and contact details, and a copy of the identification page of his/her passport or ID card.
• The Savonlinna Opera Festival will appoint a pre-selection jury and choose the winner.
• The pre-selection jury will choose three of the librettos submitted by March 31, 2017 for the Savonlinna Opera Festival to assess. The names of the competitors will remain anonymous at both the pre-selection stage and in the competition.
• The Savonlinna Opera Festival will announce the winning entry from the three librettos chosen by the pre-selection committee on May 5, 2017.
• The Savonlinna Opera Festival reserves the right to decide where and when (in which year) the winning libretto will be premiered. This right will be valid for three years from the end of the competition.
• The opera for which the libretto is intended must last not less than 2 hours and not more than 2 hours 30 minutes. The librettist agrees, after the competition has ended, to make any changes that may be required in the work as a whole in collaboration with the composer.
• The winner of the competition agrees to make an exclusive licence agreement with the Savonlinna Opera Festival concerning his/her libretto. This licence agreement will cover at least 8 performances and their recording and broadcasting rights.
• The Savonlinna Opera Festival will also have the right to make licence agreements on the performing rights of the works by the other finalists.
• Competitors must affirm their possession of the necessary performing, licensing and other copy rights to the libretto to be performed.
Three prizes will be awarded in the competition; the winner will receive €20,000 and the two other finalists each €5,000.
• Persons or others involved in the selection of the winner, their close relatives or persons living in the same household may not take part in the competition. This includes the pre-selection jury.
• The Savonlinna Opera Festival will have the right to disqualify any competitor who violates these rules.
• Participants in the competition will be responsible for any taxation or other consequences of receiving a prize and for informing the tax authorities that the prize has been received.
• The result of the competition is final and there will be no right of appeal.